Royston Cycling Club - Club Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

19/9/2018 4:25 pm  #1

Winter Bike Advice

I'm considering buying a second hand bike to use as a winter bike. I don't want to spend too much but equally don't want to end up buying a cheap bike that is so heavy it's not fun to ride! 

Do you think this bike would be suitable, or should I aim for something a little higher specced?
https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/boardman/road-comp-2014

My plan is to fit mudguards and new tyres. I have found the bike above at a great price and pretty much unused.

20/9/2018 8:45 am  #2

Re: Winter Bike Advice

Hi Dylan,
Can't comment specifically on the Boardman but re mudguards you'll want to check there is sufficient clearance to mount them. Also, whether you want clip-ons or fixed and if fixed does the bike have mounting points. For me, reliable stopping power in the wet would be the other priority whether you go for rim or disc brakes. Good luck in finding your new mount.!

21/9/2018 12:29 pm  #3

Re: Winter Bike Advice

Hi Dylan, I've got a Boardman comp and I've got mudguards on it so you should be able to fit them too. I can see the little holes on the fork and back frame so yes you should be able to. Happy to give you a hand or show you the one I've got? Oh, and heavier bikes makes stronger legs. 😉

Thanks

Salvo

Board footera