Royston Cycling Club - Club Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

28/5/2019 2:28 pm  #1

Saturday Special - Steady Ride routes - Tom's Cakes and Blue Egg runs

Picking up on my earlier longer steady rides suggestion, I'm going to propose we set a date for one. 

Proposed dates:
- Saturday 8th June:  Tom's Cakes in St Ives.  Ca. 94km and 320m climbing in total
- Saturday 22nd June:  Blue Egg run.  Ca.84km and around 1000m climbing in total

I can ask RCC to send out a survey to get an idea of who's interested.  I'll probably ride them anyway, so don't anyone feel obligated! ;o)

Let me know if interested.

A.

Last edited by AdrianS (29/5/2019 7:59 am)

29/5/2019 12:01 pm  #2

Re: Saturday Special - Steady Ride routes - Tom's Cakes and Blue Egg runs

I would be pleased to join you for these rides.

29/5/2019 7:09 pm  #3

Sound great though can't be out quite that long on 8th & 22nd sounds a bit hilly for me! I've posted a suggestion under 'General Discussion' for any medium rare/slow people who want to do c 40 miles this Sat morning & or other rides in June...

02/6/2019 7:30 am  #4

Hi Lorna,

No problem re. St Ives.  It’s a ride I’ve done a few times and is pretty flat ride all the way.  It looks deceptive -  despite the length of the ride looking daunting... 

Eggy ride is a bit hilly yes, but nothing too beastly. All climbs are pretty short; the ascent is spread pretty evenly across the ride.  The restaurant at the end is really nice - lots of club riders from all over turn up, making for a pretty nice atmosphere.

A.

PS. I might be able to make the 15th,

05/6/2019 9:22 pm  #5

thanks - will check the 22nd route out... sorry for ignorance on where Blue Egg is?! Sorry I can't join you this Sat though would be up for that ride another time. will have a think of ride for 15th..  

06/6/2019 7:02 am  #6

Adrian, Is your steady ride to Tom's Cakes still on for this Saturday and if it is, what time are we starting?
I would prefer early (8.00am?) but happy with what you suggest. Though the A10 does get busy later.

06/6/2019 4:31 pm  #7

Weather is looking ok for Saturday. Suggest 08:30am meet outside Mica for steady ride to Tom’s Cakes.

Link to suggested route on Strava:
http://www.strava.com/routes/19192862

06/6/2019 6:31 pm  #8

Okay 8.30am it is then. I'm not quite so sure about your route though through the centre of Cambridge, but we can discuss this then. Whatever, I'm booked in a Rutland Cycles, Histon on the way home re. my gears. 

06/6/2019 6:34 pm  #9

Hi John,

Ah!  I was pitching for a scenic ride through the backs!

No problem. We can go multiple routes through Cambridge, including up Histon road (not scenic)! ;o)

A.

07/6/2019 4:26 pm  #10

Given the state of the weather forecast (wind + rain), I need to know if anyone is still keen to ride tomorrow to Tom's Cake shop in St Ives.  I am up for it, but will cancel if no one responds by 9pm today.

07/6/2019 7:26 pm  #11

The weather does not look good and if I go it will have to be without mudguards, as that's the bike that booked to go in to Rutland Cycles at 1.00 pm. Shall we bank this ride for another Saturday, when it may be more appealing to others?

07/6/2019 8:00 pm  #12

Hi John.  Yes, let’s do that - bank the ride for another Saturday.

All:  I’m postponing tomorrow’s ride to St Ives. Let’s look for another Saturday when the forecast is not looking quite so dreadful...

A.

08/6/2019 9:32 am  #13

Adrian, Have sent you a PM regarding another date

17/6/2019 12:43 pm  #14

Hi everyone,

After a great Saturday special to Blue Egg/Debden Barns, I'm looking now to reschedule the cycle ride to Tom's Cakes in St Ives for Saturday 22nd June @ 8am outside Mica.  The weather on Saturday is currently looking good. Fingers crossed!

JohnM mentioned looking in the RCC Route Bank at the course they have previously mapped out:

- C9 - 57 miles: https://www.strava.com/routes/9381866

I'm happy to go with this.  On the plus side, it avoids the centre of Cambridge.  However, it does take in Chapel Hill instead. For anyone on the Medium/Rare group that is interested, we can avoid Chapel Hill if you'd prefer.

Please reply to this thread if you are interested.  Weather permitting, I'll be going.

Cheers,

A.

18/6/2019 10:12 am  #15

Hi Adrian, I am keen to ride on Saturday but I may not have time to ride the full distance and may need to go for a shorter route. I will keep you posted.

Board footera