Royston Cycling Club - Club Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

17/9/2019 10:56 am  #1

Lee Valley Ride to London

Would anyone be interested in a cycle down the tow paths along the Lee Valley into London? Ride most/all the way into London and aim to catch a train home at the end.  After a refreshment stop at a suitable establishment?

The route is very scenic along the Lee Valley, particularly now that Autumn colours are starting to appear in the trees.  The route would be best with a hybrid, gravel or MTB.

Let me know if anyone would like to take part.  If I get enough interest, I’m happy to organise a date.  Pace would have to be slower/leisurely as these are mostly shared use paths.

Adrian.

20/9/2019 2:53 pm  #2

Re: Lee Valley Ride to London

I really like the sound of that Adrian and it would be a good excuse to dust off my very old MTB! Where do you plan to leave from?

20/9/2019 6:42 pm  #3

Sounds like you're looking for a ride on your all new MTB Adrian! I would be up for this and whatever you fancy really. I've also got a ride that I've done several times down that way. From here car assist to Waltham Abbey, good parking, then ride down the River Lea, coffee in The Olympic Park and a ride around there, then on to Limehouse Basin and Canary Wharf, off road along The River Lea. I've got a good workers cafe too, but it's probably not open weekends.

27/9/2019 10:04 am  #4

I would be very happy to join too.

03/10/2019 3:52 pm  #5

Here's a suggested route that gives us ca. 36 miles of almost near flat tow path cycling all the way to Kings Cross.

[url=http://www.strava.com/routes/22056940]http://www.strava.com/routes/22056940

A.[/url]

04/10/2019 8:42 am  #6

Confirming I would be up for this one. I've ridden WGC to Victoria Park, but not Victoria Park to Kings X.

05/10/2019 1:33 pm  #7

Just bringing this back to the top.

05/10/2019 3:21 pm  #8

Thanks all for the feedback so far. Looking now to set some dates for the Lee Valley ride:

- Primary: Sat 26th October
- Backup: Sat 2nd November (if weather bad on 26th)

These correspond with the schools half-term week, so pros and cons. Hopefully more of us can make it. But, the tow paths could be busier than normal.

Nb: we are not looking to set any Strava PBs! 😉

A.

06/10/2019 7:37 pm  #9

I'd be interested to hear more, though can't do 26th, so most likely to steal the route and do an element with my partner and little one another time (or follow behind you if it moves to the 2nd) https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/cheerful.png
my hybrid is also a tad old..

07/10/2019 1:58 pm  #10

All,

Further to my last message, I cannot do the 2nd Nov myself https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/whistling.png
as I've just noticed I'll be out of the country that day!  Hence, 26th is the date. Unless there's a good case to bring it forward as the official Saturday special in October?

A.

10/10/2019 5:36 pm  #11

Unfortunately I can't make the 26th. Enjoy the ride.

21/10/2019 7:05 pm  #12

Bringing this back to the top. Looking for confirmation on who is up for the ride.  Looking for a minimum of 3.

With the clocks due to change soon, this may be the last opportunity for a long Saturday ride.  And the forecast for the weekend is looking very warm for this time of year so could be a great excursion!

22/10/2019 8:11 am  #13

Apologies Adrian, but I can't do this Saturday (26th). I would be more keen to do this in the summer. Hope you can get your required number and enjoy the ride. If not, let's bank it for next year.

Last edited by JohnM (22/10/2019 8:12 am)

25/10/2019 11:24 am  #14

All,

Cancelling tomorrow’s Lee Valley Tow path ride as:
- I’ve come down with a chest infection
- the weather tomorrow looks awful
- England are playing the All Blacks in the semi finals and my wife wants to watch it and
- I’ve agreed to take our daughter to her swimming lesson so my wife can watch the rugby

All of the above reasons. Will reschedule it in the new year during a weekend with fine weather and no planned international rugby matches!

A.

Board footera