Royston Cycling Club - Club Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

03/2/2020 9:56 pm  #1

Coast to Coast - Sunday 3rd - Wednesday 6th May 2020

This year a few of us are planning to ride Coast to Coast Sunday 3rd – Wednesday 6th May. We have agreed a route starting in Morecombe and finishing in Whitby. We are looking to travel light, ride unsupported and stay in B&B’s/hotels (locations TBC) no more than 70 miles apart. We are not looking to break any speed records so please don’t be put off; thousands of people do this ride every year.For those who fancy some of the more challenging climbs in the lakes/dales/moors, there is no reason why you could not do these and re-join the group later on.If you wanted to join us, please PM me before Friday 14th of February, so we can get numbers agreed, book travel and accommodation.ThanksAndrew

04/2/2020 8:02 am  #2

Re: Coast to Coast - Sunday 3rd - Wednesday 6th May 2020

Thanks for posting - 
I'm definitely up for this Andrew and looking forward to it.
I've pencilled it in my diary already.
 https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons2/big-grin.png

pm sent

04/2/2020 2:15 pm  #3

Looks like a great idea, not sure I can make it but would love to see the route.

07/2/2020 7:57 am  #4

Hi Andrew, I’d be interested if there was a support vehicle (I struggle on hills as it is without having to add luggage!!!).
If you get more takers then there could be the offer of a support driver (a rider’s partner?). Anyway, keep us updated. Thanks, David.

08/2/2020 8:47 am  #5

Great to see we have a handful of interested people in this.

I have an initial route but will need to move this to ensure that we get close to the accomadation on route. Mark and I will lock down the route this week and post on the 14th.

In terms of comms on this, we have a whatsapp group. If you would like to join send me a PM and I will add you. Sadly I am away with work next week so it may take a couple of days to respond any messages.

thanks
AG

11/2/2020 9:07 pm  #6

Thanks Andrew - potentially interested. Keen to hear more. I might not join a Whats App group yet, as I have a lot going on atm, though hopefully catch up to hear more once you have the route and rough costs etc. thanks, Lorna 

15/2/2020 7:42 pm  #7

Just seen your post Andrew. Sounds good. Room for 1 more?

15/2/2020 10:14 pm  #8

We have been working on the outline plan, so here goes:
Dates
3rd -5th May or 4th-6th May. This is a bank holiday weekend, so we may need to make the choice based on availability of accommodation/transport when we book.
Route (provisional)
Day 1 - Morecombe (Eric Morecombe statue!) to Hawes – 40 miles
Day 2 – Hawes to Great Ayton - 65 miles
Day 3 - Great Ayton to Whitby (Home of the best fish and chip shop in the UK) – 35 miles
Strava route - https://www.strava.com/routes/23787454
Accommodation
B&B’s – We have got some quotes which suggest it will cost c.£100 for two nights assuming two people sharing a twin/double room.
Travel options
There are a few options, however as we are looking to do this self-supported,
[list=1]
[*]Drive a vehicle to Newcastle and get a train across to the west coast.
[*]Train – Milton Keynes to Lancaster (4 mile ride to Morecombe) & Whitby to Royston.
[/list]
General comment – the distances should be fine for us all so we can simply enjoy the ride and scenery. If anyone wants to do some more climbing there are some great ones near Hawes.
Next Steps – confirm numbers, agree dates & room buddies (or not), and book travel/accommodation. Suggest we stay at the Bull after the club ride next Sunday (23rd) and get organised. If you cant make that, please send me your contact details via the club website I will give you a call one evening.

15/2/2020 10:15 pm  #9

BobR wrote:

Just seen your post Andrew. Sounds good. Room for 1 more?

Definately - the more the merrier.

16/2/2020 7:51 am  #10

Well done Andrew for all your work thus far..
Once we are clearer on who can manage to join, then we'll crack on with travel and accommodation - as you mentioned above.
Looking forward to meeting on Sunday 23rd at The Bull.

19/2/2020 11:06 pm  #11

I’m interested in this.

22/2/2020 9:29 am  #12

Definitely want to ride this at some point. But fyi the May Day bank holiday has now moved to Friday 8th May. Re VE Day.

I will keep an eye on the forum posts re this as would be keen to do if we had a support car per DB’s post.

Cheers

Baz

22/2/2020 7:56 pm  #13

Thanks Baz - yes, we are aware of the bank holiday move. It just means it is going to cost some of us a days extra annual leave.

With support you will do this in two days! Think I found a sportive that did it one day if you really fancied a challenge!

14/3/2020 6:22 pm  #14

Will see you all on the 23rd to discuss plans. Am interested, but cannot commit just yet.

A.

14/3/2020 11:10 pm  #15

We now have a final plan for this. We are going Monday 4th to wednesday 6th of May. There are five of us confirmed, although others could tag along as it is only a matter of organising trains and accomadation.

Adrian - The reference to a meeting on the 23rd was for febuary, so in response to your message today, I sent you my contact details in case you want to know more.

thanks
Andrew

Board footera