Royston Cycling Club - Club Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

07/6/2016 8:26 am  #46

Re: Tour of Cambridgeshire Gran Fondo 5 June 2016

Very unlikely to actually go.....

Interesting that the 3 quickest times were 15 ahead of the race winner! Ah, they did the leisure route but still appear to have qualified.....

07/6/2016 10:12 am  #47

Sorry guys but I can't ride on Sunday so have a nice photo. :-)

07/6/2016 7:22 pm  #48

I'm really chuffed for everyone except Donna, for whom I'm a big bit gutted. I didn't qualify but really pleased with 4h20m. Only 5min outside what I hoped for. Next year more salt to stop the cramp and a bike made of feathers to make me faster :-D

07/6/2016 8:03 pm  #49

Donna shouldn't feel too bad - she improved on last years time by nearly 30 mins - she now just needs to keep something in reserve for the sprint finish....

I think the salts & fluids is something a few of us need to learn and improve upon. I cycled the last 20 miles with recurring cramps and had to use the 52-11 to try and keep them in check - a cadence of 65 must have looked very odd but seemed to help.

08/6/2016 6:12 am  #50

Perhaps we should try and get someone to come and give us some advice on how to manage these long rides, both for fuelling and pacing. It seems quite a few of us came unstuck trying to race that kind of distance, very different from a sportive where we mostly tend to take the stops.
But, I think seven or eight riders from the club with qualifying times, means we must be doing something right.

08/6/2016 9:09 am  #51

Its important to eat constantly throughout the ride, i ate porridge and a sandwich about an hour before the ride,then an energy bar & gel on the start line,  took a banana and i had a pocket full of cut up energy bars, fig rolls and nuts, and just dipped in every 5-10 mins, had an alert on my Garmin set for every 30 mins to remind me to drink/eat.......i had 12 electrolyte/isotonic gels including 4 caffeine gels, which in theory was 3 gels an hour, i didnt use them all, but better to have them, plus a carb drink and a caffeine drink.......i read the following article https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/article/izn20140305-Sportive-Nutritional-Timeline-0 and it helped me. You can only process about 60g of carbs an hour so plan it before hand.

08/6/2016 9:41 am  #52

Guys, my brother who I did the ToC with me is a PT and has recently branched out into supplements. He started a new company called My Pinnacle Nutrition last year and is specializing on cyclists at the moment with a Pre, During and Post drink full of natural Himalayan Salts to stop cramping. He's just become the main supplier for St Neots CC. I'm sure he'd be more than interested to come and have a chat with us and give us some samples?
His website is: www.mypinnaclenutrition.com

Let me know what you think and I can have a chat with him

08/6/2016 12:42 pm  #53

The problem I have with gels etc., is I'm a diabetic and they mess my blood sugars up too much. Any advice on that front would be most welcome.

08/6/2016 1:20 pm  #54

Yeah I was wondering about that Darren, so what do you use then? 

08/6/2016 3:14 pm  #55

Cereal bars and water with electrolytes only. Plus a couple of gels for emergencies only. I rely on the calorie counter and alarm on my Garmin to know when to eat. Seems to work quite well but means I need more fluid stops for a long ride.
My pitstop on the ToC was less than 2 mins...

08/6/2016 6:54 pm  #56

I rode all the way round with a banana, peanut butter sandwich and half a dozen gels in my pocket.  Hit the wall in the last third, slowed right down and lost a lot of time. Took all the food back home again.

I'll try not to do that again.  Something to be said for learning the hard way maybe...

I also went against all the advice in the cycling comics and tried a new drink. Cue stomach ache half way round.  Won't do that again either.

08/6/2016 9:16 pm  #57

Food helps but let's not forget about more training. Maybe longer rides at higher cadence once a week?

09/6/2016 10:54 am  #58

I'm with Barry on this one. I read somewhere that the best conditioned rider can only store enough energy in their bodies for about 2 hours of hard effort. As I planned on not stopping, I ate a hard boiled egg, jam sandwich and banana about an hour before the start and during the ride regularly nibbled - drier stuff earlier on (couple of energy bars), moist more natural food around the middle (dates, another banana, almond butter) and a couple of gels for a kick towards the end. On longer events like this I carry a small bag on top of frame for extra food and this makes it easier to reach. Problem for me this time was lack of fluid. 2  x 500ml bottles not enough for me in those conditions and had to ration it from half way through. I noticed some riders had extra bottles behind their seats and its worth considering.
Good tip to set an 'eat & drink now' alarm on the Garmin - I'll do that. 
Being retired and able to do longer rides during the week has definitely helped me. I did a 80 mile ride to Ely on the Thursday before the ToC just to get a feel for the distance. I didn't go fast and had 3 cake stops on the way but it may have helped psychologically if not physically. 
Darren - Luckily, I haven't got diabetes but I don't like taking too many gels.  Have you tried Artisana Raw Almond Nut Butter?  I comes in sachets which can be opened on the bike and each contains 169 kcal whereas my current gels contain 91. Acquired taste though and difficult to take without something to swill it down. 

Board footera