Royston Cycling Club - Club Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/2/2017 5:08 pm  #1

sticky rear calliper

I have what seems to be a sticky rear calliper.  When I pull the brake lever the calliper barely returns back to it's original position meaning my brake pads are rubbing.

​My observations (assuming I have reset the callipers as wide as possible) are release works fine and the callipers move apart, I can squeeze the callipers by hand they return to the widest position ok.  I can pull on the cable between the lever and callipers and they return to the widest position ok.
​if I pull the lever the callipers stay at the rim and the brake cable doesn't return it stays in position.

​I have tried to adjust the callipers, lubricated the pivots, GT85 the cable at the barrel adjuster to clear any gunk.

​Anyone have any ideas before I just give up and take it to Halfords (please don't groan, I have a service plan so all the labour is fee).  I am happy to do minor adjustments, change the cables etc.

Thanks

DB

11/2/2017 7:10 pm  #2

Re: sticky rear calliper

Could be the brake cable sticking in its casing. How long since you replaced the cables and casings?

11/2/2017 7:18 pm  #3

This guy seemed to be experiencing the same problem and, as Darren suggested, culprit was the cable/ casing.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12856071

11/2/2017 7:20 pm  #4

My rear Shimano 105 is very similar, and doesn't release fully,  but i have managed to release the brakes enough via the adjuster so they do not rub.....personally i think its a good reason to buy a new set or upgrade to Ultegra's......but don't tell Mrs P..http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

11/2/2017 7:42 pm  #5

Thanks Darren, Richard, Barry, I was thinking the cable. Been scouring the web for similar problems which is why I have checked most things. Just thought before I changed the cable if anyone else had experience.

They are the original cable so about 18 months old.

11/2/2017 10:25 pm  #6

If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, WD40.

That said, I'd change the cable.

12/2/2017 11:39 am  #7

+1 for the cable.  A good number of the problems I've had with my current bike have been because a cable needed adjusting or replacing or because it really should've been replaced before it snapped entirely.

If you want to replace the cable yourself, I've found that to avoid frustration it helps to use a rubber band to keep the brake lever in the "braking" position while you're threading the new cable through the internals of the shifter.

If the new cable still doesn't run smoothly through the housing, consider replacing the housing too.  (If you've got strong hands, you can cut the new housing to the right length with wire cutters, but weaklings like me have more success with a Dremel tool -- happy to lend one as required.)

That said, it's a pretty uninspiring job so no one would begrudge you for taking it to Halfords :-)

12/2/2017 12:23 pm  #8

Thanks Tom, just dropped it off at halfords so it is their problem now. Getting a mini service done at the same time. Taking full advantage of the free labour.

12/2/2017 7:36 pm  #9

Really? You took your bike to Halford? I don't trust them to be honest. I think you could have done a better job than them Darren. I think I'm too fussy with my bikes and only new dales in saffron Walden is allowed to touch them.

12/2/2017 9:18 pm  #10

Don't worry Salvo you are probably right, to be honest, it is only because I got a care plan when I bought the bike and all labour is free so I let them get on with it.

Not sure I totally trust them either but it is convenient as well as free (for now).

I am not brilliantly mechanical but I am trying to learn and yes I could have changed the brake cable (I was going to do it honest) but I found a couple of small issues and thought I might as well get them to look at them all together.

Do feel free to remind me how stupid I have been when I moan in a couple of weeks things are not working again/still 😁

12/2/2017 9:22 pm  #11

:-) :-) :-) let's hope no one has any problems in York though. I'll see you next week.

17/2/2017 4:12 pm  #12

Well it is no longer sticky - new brake cable - and it felt like a new bike today (alright it did also get a new BB, chain and I had the cassette changed for granny gears so I can get used to them before Yorkshire).

Board footera