Royston Cycling Club - Club Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

06/6/2016 8:20 pm  #1

Wimpole sportive - Sunday 17th July

I wondered what route people are thinking of doing for the Wimpole Sportive.

I imagine there'll be a lot of us entering. I've not done this one before, but I know that a good few of you have.

There's a 63 mile and an 89. Both look fairly hilly, 2700 feet of climbing or nearly 4000 on the longer one. Not sure what to go for.

08/6/2016 6:40 pm  #2

Re: Wimpole sportive - Sunday 17th July

I think all those who've recently done the Grand Fondo will be doing the 89. Those of us with more modest aspirations (me, me!) will be doing the 63.

17/6/2016 6:15 am  #3

James -  I'll be doing the 89. My aspirations, do lots of miles in a day. Preparations ? Virtually nil !
Ride there and back will make 108m grand total.
Its my only serious long distance ride of the year.
Looking forward to it, lots.
Hoping for nice weather.
Mark.

17/6/2016 9:54 am  #4

James, I rode the long course last year and my memory is of rolling terrain with few real climbs. The steeper sections I do recall are both familiar from the route bank, Chapel HIll and the longish pull up from Ickleton towards Elmdon.

17/6/2016 8:06 pm  #5

Richard is right, all the hills are ones we ride regularly. If I ride I will probably go for the 89. It was ok last year (except for Elmdon). We had good groups doing both routes. Hopefully this year we won't drown in the way home.

20/6/2016 9:21 pm  #6

I could regret this, but have just signed up and paid for the long route.

21/6/2016 10:45 am  #7

Its a good ride James, and it'll be good to have so many of us at the start for a piccie. But, as Donna said, we have done all the hills before, and there is no rush to finish it, so you can just enjoy the ride http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Board footera