Royston Cycling Club - Club Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

26/6/2019 9:01 am  #1

Weekend away ride to Hunstanton July 6th&7th

To recap, a number of us are riding to Hunstanton, overnighting at a YHA hostel and returning on Sunday via bike/train dependent on energy levels. David Browning has kindly agreed to drive a support vehicle to transport luggage so we can all ride light. We still have three places up for grabs so if you want to join us please email the club account as soon as possible for details of costs and arrangements.

Alternatively you can join the ride for all or part of the route( https://www.strava.com/routes/19655806 ) to Kings Lynn on the Saturday. You then have the option to reverse the route or take the train back from Waterbeach, Ely, Littleport, Downham Market, Watlington or Kings Lynn. (The coffee and lunch stops are Ely and Kings Lynn respectively). The ride starts from outside Mica at 8am and the pace will be at Saturday Special levels, i.e. around 15bmph average, and if the group is too large we will split it. 

If you plan to join just for the Saturday please post here so we know to look out for you.

26/6/2019 12:58 pm  #2

Re: Weekend away ride to Hunstanton July 6th&7th

Just want to comment that not everyone will be able to maintain a pace of 15+mph for 88 miles.  Hence, myself and a couple of others will be riding at a slightly slower pace. 

It should be a great day out, whatever distance or speed you choose to ride.  There will always be room in the "Medium-Rare" peleton! https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/cool.png

26/6/2019 12:59 pm  #3

I am going to do the Saturday ride to Kings Lynn and will get the train back to Cambridge, then cycle home the final leg.

26/6/2019 2:57 pm  #4

AdrianS wrote:

Just want to comment that not everyone will be able to maintain a pace of 15+mph for 88 miles.  Hence, myself and a couple of others will be riding at a slightly slower pace.

Only 66 miles to Kings Lynn with few hills.
https://www.strava.com/routes/19841708

Last edited by DylanM (26/6/2019 3:00 pm)

26/6/2019 7:48 pm  #5

Thanks Richard/Dylan - if there are a few that will go closer to 14 for some of it, I'd be up for giving it a go to Ely or Downham Market (maybe KL depending on timing etc) though don't want to slow up people who are going faster, so will just confirm if there is likely to be a splinter group. 

27/6/2019 7:33 am  #6

I'll join the steady group up to King's Lynn, or may drop off earlier, then return via train to Cambridge or Royston.

27/6/2019 6:13 pm  #7

Just bringing this thread back to the top.

28/6/2019 4:58 pm  #8

More than happy to share the ride up to Kings Lynn with @LornaH, @DylanM, et al at a <15mph pace. I plan to go all the way to Hunstantan and will be staying the night as planned.  Will probably leave it to the day to see whether I feel I can do the full ride back, or bail at one of the train stops en route.

28/6/2019 5:34 pm  #9

Sounds like a plan Adrian. I am with you on this one.

29/6/2019 5:05 am  #10

AdrianS wrote:

More than happy to share the ride up to Kings Lynn with @LornaH, @DylanM, et al at a <15mph pace. I plan to go all the way to Hunstantan and will be staying the night as planned.  Will probably leave it to the day to see whether I feel I can do the full ride back, or bail at one of the train stops en route.

I will be riding the faster group with this one Adrian but it looks like the medium rare group will have a nice size group 👍🏻

30/6/2019 5:42 pm  #11

Hi, is the plan to do the return on exactly the same route?  (I dont know the area at all except that someone told me today that the Hunstanton to Cromer coast road gets no sight of the coast!)   Neil

01/7/2019 8:12 am  #12

Hi Neil, Yes, the return route is simply the reverse of the outbound. I don't think anyone is planning to cycle the north Norfolk coast on this occasion, i.e. Hunstanton to Cromer, but if you did want to ride this stretch I'd suggest you avoid the busy coast road (A149) and follow the route here https://maps.norfolk.gov.uk/trails/?tc=PRO/905. Quiet lanes often with distant views of the coast. You could then return by train to Cambridge from Cromer via Norwich.

01/7/2019 4:55 pm  #13

As a Richard says, the routes are pretty well identical, apart from the bit through King’s Lynn, as we’re planning a lunch stop on the way there, but not on the way back (if you’re cycling all the way back).

A few notes:

The route there follows our standard route to King’s Lynn, which takes us up to Ely for coffee, then alongside the river most of the way to King’s Lynn.   Then we’re mostly following Sustrans route 1 north.

It’s worth making sure you are familiar  with the route, especially if we end up riding in two groups, or some are taking the train part way.

The route into King’s Lynn follows cycle tracks for the last bit, so don’t don’t be alarmed when the Garmin asks you to turn off road.

For lunch, we’re aiming for the quayside, and either Marriotts or the Rathskeller next door.  There are more places inland if need be.

Coming out of King’s Lynn also uses cycle paths, so it’s worth looking at the route to see where to turn off the road.  We’re heading North!

We go up to Castle Rising, and follow another track, until we hit the A149.  There’s a cycle path alongside the main road for the short distance until we turn right to Sandringham.

If you ride into the sea you’ve gone too far.

Coming back is a slightly different route through King’s Lynn, following cycle paths on Sustrans route 1 (look for the signposts / stickers).   If comes out by the station if you want the train.

Otherwise we reverse the route.

Let me know if anything’s not clear.

It would be worth making sure that we have swapped enough phone numbers so that one group can tell the other of any problems etc.

The weather looks good, so it should be fun.

James

01/7/2019 5:11 pm  #14

Richard, Thanks, great website for routes in Norfolk....but if I am not there at 9am on Sunday look in my bed not Cromer! https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/smile.png
...altho I remember being a bit alarmed last year to see that the group who came back from KL did so at more than 30kph https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/wassat.png
   Neil

RichardN wrote:

Hi Neil, Yes, the return route is simply the reverse of the outbound. I don't think anyone is planning to cycle the north Norfolk coast on this occasion, i.e. Hunstanton to Cromer, but if you did want to ride this stretch I'd suggest you avoid the busy coast road (A149) and follow the route here https://maps.norfolk.gov.uk/trails/?tc=PRO/905. Quiet lanes often with distant views of the coast. You could then return by train to Cambridge from Cromer via Norwich.

02/7/2019 7:57 am  #15

To save leaving my car in Royston over the weekend, I will meet you all in Harston where you turn off the A10 cycle path at 8:30. Looking forward to it.

Board footera